Tuesday, October 13, 2009

M A J O R L A Z E R

Realizing just a few hours before Major Lazer (after knowing of this very event for months) was playing that evening, my friend Esme and I rounded up the likes of Jed Cullen (http://jedjedjedjed.blogspot.com) and darted home to prepare for one of the most spectacular nights out for a long time. I might even go as far as saying ever. After walking the streets of Manhattan to Terminal 5, through the doors, we were greeted by a packed out dance floor. This was a bizarre mix of an underage and drinking aged mass of bodies dancing to the sounds of Jack beats.After Rusco’s very well received set, as the Americans are totally over heels in love with Dub-Step right now, I spotted the figure dressed in a 3 piece suit that was half of Major Lazer, Diplo. (Switch was not present that evening.) The crowd went wild as the sounds came out of a ridiculously good sound system and Scerrit Bwoy and his two gold bikinied hoochie mamas daggered and danced about on stage. Now, when Diplo dropped his remix of Keep it going louder as always if not only for duty to the Doves get pretty excited, but he stopped it rewound, or so I thought until I look up and NINA SKY and RICKY BLAZE leap onto the stage for a fully live performance:

(the sound is pretty poor on this video, but you can get the idea.)
A few songs along, we were joined by Jah Dan for his performance of Cash Flow. Then came Skerrit Bwoy’s fairly obscene dancing to Pon De Floor where his trousers fell down, or were pulled down (it was hard to differentiate). Then later, Halfway through Hold the line I realize that it is in fact the real life Santigold and Mr. Lexx providing the vocals…

Major Lazer’s performance left me speechless in the “I cant believe this is so good” way as well as the quite literal sense.

This is santigold

I don’t know about how Crookers were feeling, but if I were next up, I would not liked to follow that performance.

Oh, and apparently M.I.A was in the building too………..

No comments:

Post a Comment